Saturday, May 13, 2006

There Ain't No Shelter Here!

Saturday update.

Looks like the Town Cryer gig is official - i've been told to keep the articles coming. Up next is thoughts on E3, then followedprobably by my review for Oblivion (And man, that is gonna be hard to bring in in 400-500 words - more like a couple of thousand). I love it though.

Now to rant for a bit. Good friend Deeanne brought a job to my attention earlier this week, and I appreciate the effort, I really do. I'm debating whether or not i'm going to bother sitting down and trying to type up a resume. Apparently there's Data entry involved, and i'm told there's some formal sales, maybe some letterhead design, none of which i'm really cut for. Sarah doesn't seem to understand this fact - and having certain people come to me every two weeks and tell me "I need to look for something" really pisses me off to no end. we have food on our table, we have a roof over our heads, we have clothes on our backs, and bill collectors usually leave us alone. I just don't understand why everyone I know outside of my own parents seem to think i'm involved in some intense job hunt. It's not that I don't appreciate their efforts, but at the same time id like a little more support for what i'm doing right now! I'm happy to get up and go to work - the bullshit tolerance factor is very low, i'm selling something i'm very knowledgable of, and i don't come home from work ready to murder anyone. I don't want to blow my own trumpet or stroke my own ego here - but of all of the Video game retail outlets on this freakin rock in the North Atlantic i call home, i have yet to see another person in this damn field who has the degree of background knowledge i have (clerks, managers, owners, whatever). I love this industry, i love at least 2/3rds of the clientele, and i love not having to worry about what i'm wearing, or being clean shaven every day, or having to meet sales projections or sell "X" quantities of product "Y" within a certain span of time. I care about the business i work for, even if i don't have a personal claim to stake, and while i may not be paid what some may think i'm worth, i'm treated with respect, and yeah, fuck it, i have pride in what i do. It's frustrating to have want ad clippings stuffed in my face, or people constantly talking to me about work with this hint of "he could do so much better" pity in their voices. I don't need your pity. I could be answering phones, constantly being bitched at by Americans who can't figure out why their cel phone bills are so high. I could be stressed at the thought of HAVING to sell 20 customer cards, or having to get at least 10 people an hour to sign up for an MBNA visa. To have a job that pays my bills, and keeps me from committing homicide or ripping what's left of my hair from my scalp is more than enough for me right now. Are there people out there making more than me? Friggin right! Are there people out there making less? A hell of a lot more of them than the guys making more, i can tell ya that! I'm not delusional, i know where i'm workin' I know i ain't curing Cancer or saving the world, but we can't all be superheroes. You come to me, you get service without the corporate "how may I help you today sir or madam while grinning like a jackass" bullshit. I won't steer you wrong, i won't sell you shit you don't want, because i don't want you pissed off at me, if anything, i WANT you to come back, i WANT you to say, "Goddamn Steve, that game you sold me was tight!" I want you to tell your friends, "That guy Steve up at Microplay, he knows his shit, he's a straight shooter! He won't feed you crap and try to sell you Army Men: sarge's Heroes, and dammit, he's a swell guy to talk to!" I just can't see me showing up for work in a suit and tie, grinning like a fool while towing the corporate line. Not my scene.

Enough of that nonsense. I'll leave you with a reading from the book of Graves:

Oh, fuck you! Fuck you, pal! Jesus, there you go trying to pass the buck. I'm the source of all your misery. Who closed the store to play hockey? Who closed the store to go to a wake? Who tried to win back his ex girlfriend without even discussing how he felt with his present one? You wanna blame somebody? Blame yourself. "I'm not even supposed to be here today." You sound like an asshole! Jesus, nobody twisted your arm to be here. You're here of your own volition. You like to think the weight of the world rests on your shoulder. Like this place would fall apart if Dante wasn't here. Jesus, you overcompensate for having what's basically a monkey's job. You push fucking buttons. Anybody can just waltz in here and do our jobs. You-You're so obsessed with making it seem so much more epic, so much more important than it really is. Christ, you work in a convenience store, Dante! And badly, I might add! I work in a shitty video store, badly as well. You know, that guy Jay's got it right, man. He has no delusions about what he does. Us, we like to make ourselves seem so much more important than the people that come in here to buy a paper, or, god forbid, cigarettes. We look down on them as if we're so advanced. Well, if we're so fucking advanced, what are we doing working here?

I don't identify with Dante or Randall, i'm definitely more in line with "that guy Jay".


I'm out!

The rundown:
Watching: The New World / Last Exile

Listening to: Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam / The Tea Party - Edges of Twighlight / Wolfmother / Jeff Martin - Exile and the Kingdom

Reading: The DaVinci code by Dan Brown

Playing: Tomb Raider Legends (xbox)

Eating: Pizza, all freakin week!

Wishing: I could get some Obilvion time in!

You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon?

Cheers,
Steve
"Where there's smoke... There's Steve setting Mark on fire!"

15 comments:

jgodsey said...

Reading: The DaVinci code by Dan Brown

that's the BEST you can do?
damn boy - that stuff i'll rot yout brain.

Soap said...

Just because I make you do work @ work doesn't mean you have to give me 3rd degree burns :)

SteveTP said...

J - yeah, it's pretty foul i must say ;) Story is great, if only Brown were a better writer.

M - Sure it does ;)

Mitch said...

I was behind you until you brought the whole "bitched at by Americans" thing into it. Why you gotta go and do that? Lousy Newfie xenophobe.

Next time somebody starts giving you grief, tell them at least you're not a jizz mopper.

Will we be able to read your stuff at the Cryer's site, you gonna post 'em here or at the Controller, what's the deal gonna be?

SteveTP said...

The Cryer puts up a PDF version of their paper -should find it there. The stuff in the cryer is gonna be edited versions of what i put up on the BC. so The BC's probably still yer best bet.

By "being bitched at by angry americans" i was referring to the exploding Incoming call center business here in the city - we have four call centers in the city now - emplying a couple of thousand, most of em actually answering support calls for American cel phone customers.

Mitch said...

You got a US call center there? Damn, I thought we had out-sourced them all to India.

You manage to stay awake thru all of The New World yet?

Head's up: The review of the DC of Kingdom of Heaven goes up in the morning. I just read it. You should be quite pleased. ;)

SteveTP said...

A few of em. Apparently one of the guys i talk to had one of his co-workers get into a shouting match with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson over his cel phone bill ;)

Haven't managed to check out The New World yet - maybe this week.

Can't freakin wate for that Kingdom of Heaven disc! The review was pretty good. I'm pleased with what was said, perfectly fair, if a little brief ;) I'm a picky bastard, what can i say ;)

Mitch said...

Hey, give Ryan a break. Look at all he had to sit thru in the past week. I'm surprised he's still lucid.

I can't wait to take a look at the early draft of the script and hear what they have to say about Tripoli.

Dunnyman's Castle said...

Mi amigo, don't let ANYONE ever tell you that you need to be doing something else if you're happy doing what you do!!!
I'm in the same place, I do my design work, and yeah, it doesn't always pay all the bills so I gotta push movies on people for the Company That Must Not Be Named, but I love movies, and I love dealing with the people, so I'm HAPPY! Hear that rest of the world? I'm HAPPY, so piss off.
March to the beat of your OWN drummer, and tell the rest of 'em to kiss yer ass.

Oh, yes, as a former citizen of California in general, and San Jose specifically, I have disowned the rude bastards that booed the Canadian national anthem at the Edmonton/Sharks game last night. Fuckin'
disrespectful pukes deserved to lose after that shameful display.
Tell ALL your Canuck brethren to heap the abuse on my Sharks, they deserve everything you give 'em.

Matt said...

"most of em actually answering support calls for American cel phone customers."

Like myself. Me and Mark work for sprint moblie here in newfieland. I actually like it, b/c I kind of employ own rules as it were. Like if someone's spouse died, I'll let them cancel service, or fix their account without making them go through all the red tape of getting death certificates and junk. I mean come on, it's the decent thing to do.

I've yet to have an overly abusive call. :) You Americans love me. :D *knock on wood*

SteveTP said...

Mitch - i'm so there next tuesday! DVD release of '06 for me. A freind claims it takes a barely passable modern pseudo epic and turns it into a friggin CLASSIC that ranks with the best of em. And he wasn't at all fond of the original - i'm pumped!

Dunny - Thanks for the words of encouragment man, i hear and obey! ;)

As for Los Tiburones, Hell, i'd love to see em win it all, but i'd love to see Edmonton win it more - screw the rest of em ;)

Matt - Oh they hate you, don't worry ;)

kevin said...

Steve man...truer words were never spoken.. i'd kill to work in a video games store (but not EB!). that would rock...and I HATE retail. But i'd do it there for sure...or in a comic book store.. hehe. everytime i tell a story about video games over here it always starts with "My best friend works in a video game store..." and usually that's followed by people saying "cool!" and that's because it is.

in other news, you're writingn game reviews for the Cryer?? Sweet man! that rocks! you'll have to at least put up a link to the online version of your articles.

Neil said...

Cool stuff Steve...

Here's hoping that Newfoundland doen't become a "call center" provience. I'd like to be know for more than our phone answering skills.

The Town Cryer article has been getting some very positive remarks. Good Stuff.

SteveTP said...

It's great that people i don't even know think i'm cool! :)

You want to see the online versions of what i'm writing in the Town Cryer, just check out The Busted Controller! Those are the "unedited" versions ;)

Kev, we may be looking for someone soon enough ;) You can realize your dream!

SteveTP said...

Yo Neil! Glad to hear the response has been good man! I just love the opportunity!